Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Tallinn and Raspberries



We've just spent two days sightseeing around Tallinn. The last time I visited was after being pithced off a bus at the Latvian border, and hitching a ride back with my tail between my legs. This time we arrived at 10:00 in the morning, to sstart the fun game of attempting to find accomodation, while weighed down with about 50kg of luggage. Flushed with success after managing to book ferry tickets, I had neglected to book a room - an oversight I was now regretting.

After some trotting around and recriminations, we managed to find a room in a hostel in old town, then set about doing some proper sightseeing. The old town of Tallinn has been well preserved, and is now a major tourist attraction. Some bit's were pretty nice, like the Lutheran church where we climbed up the steeple. Others were cheesy and touristy beyonds words - at the city square I was invited to try a medieval bear dish by a young tout who looked like he'd dressed by raiding a theatre troup's costume cabinet.



Tallinn's other treasure is good cheap food and beer, a relief after Sweden training me to associate hunger pangs with financial ruin. The biggest treat was a pancake restaurant called Kompresser. They had good savoury pancakes, but the biggest treat was one of the dessert pancakes, which had a topping of condensed milk and Raspberries! It seems people aren't to proud to pick them here, which is pretty cool. I've also seen them at markets, and even frozen in bulk in the supermarket.

No comments:

Post a Comment