Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Harstad - the tourist version

Greetings blog readers, after another travel related interruption to the blog. Updating the blog requires an alignment of internet access, downtime, and lack of fatigue on my part - which doesn't occur that often. I'm currently on a ferry from Stockholm to Tallinn, in the main ship nightclub which is showing a bizarre tribute to Tina Turner on the big screens, so I've got the downtime. However the internet access is dodgy (I suspect carrier pigeon based) and I'm pretty fatigued (as a result of the great ferry catching debacle), so the quality of the next few blog posts could be pretty rough. Anyways, back to the travel story.

After discovering that not a lot was happening in Narvik, we decided to travel up the coast and have a look around. We got up to a little town called Harstad (or something similar, the internet is too dodgy to figure out what the town was actually called...), which seemed to be buzzing with a little bit more life. We managed to organise ourselves a scenic trip on the ferry that services the nearby islands. It appears that there used to be little island farming communities near Harstad, but they've devolved into little summer holiday places. Apparently spending winter snowed in on a little island, at 66 degrees north, is a little tedious.

note - the disco people have upped the volume, and decreased the quality of their offerings - the coherence of this blog will be decreasing shortly!

Anyways, the islands were incredibly picturesque - little hamlets of red wooden houses on patches of green, surrounded by blue water, with a background of rugged mountains. We also went past a seabird nesting site - first time I've seen something like that, but my excitement was tempered by the fact that they were common seagulls. At least I now know they don't just divide like amoebas.

Arrgghhh - the floor show in the ferry has just started - the spruiker has just let us know that the MC for the night's middle name is 'entertainment'. I feel he has little chance of living up to his moniker.

No comments:

Post a Comment